If you’ve noticed that some of the buttons on your Xfinity remote aren’t responding properly, that you’re having trouble connecting the remote to the TV, or that the remote isn’t working at all, you might believe it’s time to replace it.
Before you go out and spend money on a new remote, you should first attempt a factory reset.
A factory reset basically erases all of your remote’s settings and pairings, returning it to the factory settings as if you had just taken it out of the box.
To figure out how to fix my Xfinity remote, I conducted a lot of research.
Finally, I discovered Reset instructions, which assisted me in taking care of my remote.
- To reset an Xfinity Remote with a Setup button, push it and then enter 9-8-1.
- To reset the Xfinity remote that does not include a setup button, press and hold the A and D buttons, followed by 9-8-1.
On the Xfinity Remote, choose between Resync and Reset.
An Xfinity remote may be synced with an Xfinity box to control the TV from up to 50 feet away.
If you have connected the Xfinity remote with an Xfinity box and wish to link it with another Xfinity box, you must resync the remote.
To do so, un-pair your remote from the presently connected TV and then pair it with the new TV.
You may pair your Xfinity remote to your TV by pressing the Microphone button and saying “Program Remote.”
Then, to pair it with your TV, follow the procedures provided on the TV screen.
Alternatively, you may hit the A button on your remote, choose Remote Settings, and then follow the directions on the screen.
After the pairing process is complete, you may make other modifications like as volume, contrast, resolution, and so on.
Resetting your remote means that all of your previous settings will be lost. It’s the same as holding a fresh new remote control.
The TV with which you previously associated your Xfinity remote will no longer recognize it. You will have to start the pairing procedure over.
When Is It Time to Reset Your Xfinity Remote?
When the buttons on your Xfinity Remote cease working and replacing the batteries is ineffective, you can factory reset your remote as a final option.
When you factory reset your remote, it will return to the condition it was in when you acquired it from a seller.
You’ll have to pair it and set it up all over again.
If you are unable to un-pair your Xfinity remote from your TV, you can reset it.
This is due to the fact that resetting your remote un-pairs it from the TV. The caveat is that the resetting process will erase all previous settings.
Before Xfinity Remote Reset
When you press an unresponsive button on your remote, two cases may occur:
- The LED doesn’t blink.
- The LED blinks red five times.
The first case means that there is some issue with the batteries. The second means that the batteries are about to die.
Both these cases have the same solution – replace the battery. If the buttons still do not work, you are left with no other choice but to opt for a factory reset.
Perform a factory reset of Xfinity XR11, XR5, or XR2 Remotes which have a Setup Button
- The first thing you need to do is locate the setup button. The button’s location is a little different depending on the remote type, but it should say ‘Setup’ below the button on all of the remotes.
- Once you have located the setup button, you need to hold down the setup button while looking at the LED light on the front of the remote. Hold down the button until the LED light changes from red to green. When the light has changed green, you can release the button.
- Then you are going to enter the code 9-8-1 while still looking at the LED light. If it flashes green two times, then you were successful in doing Xfinity remote reset.
Note: Once you have successfully done your Xfinity remote reset, you will have to pair it to your devices again. Follow the same steps for pairing that you did when you first purchased the remote.
Perform a factory reset of Xfinity XR15 Remotes which have no Setup Button
- Instead of using a setup button to initiate the factory reset, you will have to use the buttons labeled A and D. The A button is a triangle and the D button is a diamond.
- Once you have found the A and D buttons, hold them down at the same time while looking at the LED light at the top of the remote for about 3 seconds. You should notice that the LED light changes from red to green. Once the light changes, release the buttons.
- Then you will need to input the code 9-8-1. You should notice that the LED light changes from green to blue. This signifies that the remote has successfully been reset to its original factory settings.
Note: Again, once you have done a complete factory reset you will have to pair the remote to your devices again before it will properly function. You can simply follow the instructions on the original packaging for device pairing.
Frequently Asked Question
Xfinity Remote app
Is there an app to find your Xfinity remote?
Search or browse live TV and Xfinity On Demand content with the Xfinity TV Remote app and select shows to watch on your TV. If you have an Xfinity X1, you can use the directional pad (up, down, left, and right) and number buttons to enter instructions into the app, just like you would with your Voice Remote.
How do I change channels on my xfinity without a remote?
Use the directional (up, down, left, right) pad on the app for on-screen navigation.
Can you use your phone to change channels on Xfinity?
On your device, launch the Xfinity TV Remote app. Choose to Get Started. Enter your Xfinity ID and password to log in. If you have an Apple device, once logged in, hit the symbol in the top left corner to pick your desired TV box.