Here is the list of best 22 Openhab alternative platforms
It’s a home automation system that lets you monitor and configure various devices like lights, switches, various sensors/meters like temperature, rain, wind, UV, electricity, gas, water and much more. Notifications/alerts can be sent to any mobile device.
This system is designed to operate in various operating systems. The user-interface is a scalable HTML5 web frontend, and is automatically adapted for Desktop and Mobile Devices.
Compatible with all browsers. Note for Internet explorer users: You need version 10+.
- Hardware: RFXCOM Transceiver, Z-Wave, P1 Smart Meter, YouLess Meter, Pulse Counters, 1-Wire, EnOcean, and a lot more….
- Extended logging
- iPhone / Android push notifications
- Auto Learning sensors/switches
- Manual creation of switch codes
- Share / Use external devices
- Designed for simplicity
- Compatible with all browsers
2. Home assistant
Open source home automation that puts local control and privacy first. Powered by a worldwide community of tinkerers and DIY enthusiasts. Perfect to run on a Raspberry Pi or a local server.
This platform designed to be easily deployed on almost any machine that can run Python 3, from a Raspberry Pi to a network-attached storage (NAS) device, and it even ships with a Docker container to make deploying on other systems a breeze.
- Use Alexa to control Home Assistant
- Use Google Assistant to control Home Assistant
- Home Assistant allows you to control all your devices without storing any of your data in the cloud.
- Set up advanced rules to control devices and bring your home alive
- Adjust, pre-set lights and dimmers when to turn on and off.
- Compatible with all browsers
FHEM (TM) is a GPL’d perl server for house automation. It is used to automate some common tasks in the household like switching lamps / shutters / heating / etc. and to log events like temperature / humidity / power consumption.
The program runs as a server, you can control it via web or smartphone frontends, telnet or TCP/IP directly.
To know more about supported devices with Fhem.
- Support for a lot of protocols used in house automation, audio/video devices, weather services, online calendars and more
- Autocreating devices/logs when receiving data from a new device: start fhem and watch how the plots of your sensors are appearing automatically
- Logging events to files or a database, with regexp filters
- Notifying external programs or scripts when receiving certain events
- Timed commands (e.g. Switching a lamp on from sunset till midnight)
- Lot of interfaces: simple text, json, xml, each of them over plain tcp/ip, ssl or http
- Modular architecture with currently over 430 modules, easy to add your special device
- Lot of frontends, choose your favorite
The open source, programmable, home automation server for smart connected devices and applications.
designed on a multi-standard basis, HomeGenie can interface to various devices such as X10, Insteon, Z-Wave, Philips Hue, UPnP/DLNA, RFXCom, KNX, communicate with external web services and integrate all of this into a common automation environment. So even if based on different standards, inside HomeGenie, all “modules” can be controlled and automated to work all together.
With a modern built-in web user interface, HomeGenie can be enjoyed from any PC, smartphone or tablet.
- Control upnp Lights, Media Servers and Media Receivers. Play music, images and videos from any media server to your TV, Speaker, PC and mobile device
- Create lightening scenarios with your finger tips and shape you home intelligence with no limits by creating advanced control/interaction logic using the built-in Program Editor
- Talk to it from your PC or mobile device. Homegenie is capable of understanding natural speech language to activate scenarios and control devices
- You can also use an IR or RF remote control as a quick shortcut for activating scenarios and control devices. Homegenie can be programmed as an IR gateway
- Analyze data from sensors and external services: luminance, temperature, humidity, wind, rain, energy consumption and other parameters. Optimize costs and usage
The Jeedom software is open source; you have complete access to the software that manages your home automation. This is a guarantee of transparency, but also longevity of the software and your system
- Compatible with various protocols such as, Z-Wave, enocean, KNX, Legrand Bus, rfxcom, RTS, Chacon, Edisio, etc
- It doesn’t need access to external servers to work. The whole system is managed locally and you are therefore the only one to have access to it in order to guarantee complete confidentiality
- Numerous customization settings, each user can create his or her own Jeedom home automation. Using widgets, views, and designs
- Allows you to connect all of your smart objects to each other
The Calaos is an open source home automation project. The software stack is written in C++ and contains a server daemon, a touch screen interface, a web interface, a mobile app (iOS/Android) as well as configuration tools and full OS that allows anyone to create a full home automation solution.
- Supports a lot of hardware, like PLC, KNX, Zibase, Squeezeboxes, 1Wire, mysensors, HUE
- Easy to install using Calaos-OS. It’s just a matter of burning a memory card and you have a complete working software installation. Calaos-OS is based on openembedded for easy customization
- HTTP/Websocket API for easy communication with external tools
- LUA scripting
- Powerful rule engine
- Easily configurable with our GUI tool Calaos_Installer
- Can run on a lot of supported hardware platforms, like x86/x64 PC, Raspberrypi, Cubieboard, Mele
The pimatic is a home automation framework that runs on node.js. It provides a common extensible platform for home control and automation tasks.
- It defines several schemata for different home devices and sensors, so that all devices can be controled uniform and are presented in a common interface
- The mobile frontend plugin provides a nice web frontend with a sensor overview, device control and rule definition. The web interface is build using express and jQuery Mobile
- Extensible by various plugins adding features and integrating existing hardware and software
The Node-RED is a programming tool for wiring together hardware devices, APIs and online services in new and interesting ways.
It provides a browser-based editor that makes it easy to wire together flows using the wide range of nodes in the palette that can be deployed to its runtime in a single-click.
- Browser-based flow editor that makes it easy to wire together flows using the wide range of nodes in the palette
- A built-in library allows you to save useful functions, templates or flows for re-use
- The light-weight runtime is built on node.js, taking full advantage of its event-driven, non-blocking model. This makes it ideal to run at the edge of the network on low-cost hardware such as the raspberry pi as well as in the cloud
- The flows created in node-red are stored using json which can be easily imported and exported for sharing with others
9. Yeti Smart Home
Connects your favorite smart home devices, regardless of their brand and technology, and allows you to control and automate them all from the same app.
Yeti Smart Home supports a wide variety of smart home devices from lights and wireless speakers to heating and security devices.
- Control all your home’s devices from a single app
- Tell Yeti which brands you own and he will scan your home network to automatically find them
- Discovered appliances will appear in the Yeti home screen where you can control all of them
- Create rules that tell your devices what to do by themselves based on different conditions so they better adapt to your lifestyle
- Support Philips Hue, Nest, Lifx, Nest, Sonos, Tplink, Ecobee and many more.
More To Know:Home Automation Controller Software
More To Know: Open Source Home Automation Solutions
10. Gideon Smart Home
The Gideon Smart Home is a mobile app that via the cloud and the users’ local wifi network can interact with and control multiple devices from multiple brands.
- Create your Tricks choosing multiple “IF” conditions (like Sunset/Sunrise or Geo locations) and “THEN” actions
- Combine the conditions (AND/OR) and create your ordered set of actions that will be triggered when the conditions are verified
- With the Gideon Bot you can control any device or launch a Trick
- The Gideon Bot works with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- You can create widgets for single, rooms or groups actions. Add your favorite Tricks and activate them with a single tap
- Talk to the Gideon Bot directly from your lockscreen or homepage
- Control all the devices of a specific type with just one tap from the Group dashboard (e.g. Turn off all the Lights)
The PiDome is an Open Source Home Automation platform developed especially for the raspberry Pi leveraging this little nifty credit card sized computer to a full Home Automation solution.
It is a powerful platform providing ease of use for non-technical users with possibilities which power users expect.
- Runs on resolutions from 32*240 up to 1920*1080
- Automatically adapts on your display resolution (restart required)
- All clients look and work exactly the same
- Dashboard created on the server
- Apply different themes
- Run device discovery
- Access to all your devices, media, scenes, weather, etc
- Home on WIFI connect
- Geofencing enabled, Run commands on the server when you get close to home
- These features are enabled on the embedded client for the Raspberry Pi
- Enhanced for working with AdaFruit PiTFT displays
- Automatic display backlight adjustments
- Support for small displays
- Digitally read GPIO pins for environment light sensing
- Iobroker is an iot platform (Fog computing).
- The ability to manage your iot system as one intelligent, robust project.
- Unique graphics and beautiful interfaces for you.
- Use one of the best open source products for managing your automation system on premise.
- Comprehensive smart home support
It’s a home automation system with both hardware and software under open source licenses. It’s designed to provide a comprehensive system for controlling devices, rather than stitching together many devices from different providers. Unlike many of the other systems designed primarily for easy retrofitting, OpenMotics focuses on a hardwired solution.
- Open source design ensures an open platform that prevents vendor lock-in
- With the use of the integrated Marketplace the system can be extended to your specific needs
- Our DIN rail mounted hardware modules with embedded design ensure an affordable & durable installation
- The platform aggregates data from different units to be able to optimize entire communities
- Easily configure, monitor and use every aspect of your installation with our intuitive interfaces on pc, tablet and smartphone
- Available from anywhere, on any device, our Cloud platform offers unique benefits to both professionals and end-users
The IFTTT is the free way to get all your apps and devices talking to each other. Not everything on the internet plays nice, so we’re on a mission to build a more connected world.
- Build a smart home that responds to every cue—from locking your front door to welcoming the delivery guy
- Make your voice assistant more personal
- Get more from the services you love
The LinuxMCE is a whole home automation suite, It the ‘digital glue’ between your media and all of your electrical appliances.
- Organize media with special metadata tags
- View/Listen to media in any room
- Media automatically follows you through your home
- New media is automatically detected – even if it’s on other devices like another computer on your network or Network Attached Storage (NAS)
- Monitor sensors and trigger events
- Monitor security cameras
- Use VoIP phones anywhere in your home with minimal setup
- Advanced Quality of Service (QoS) to make sure your bandwidth is used effectively
- Control climate and lighting throughout your entire home
The Mycontroller is a home automation server that allows to monitor and control your home from anywhere.
It’s a Java-based application server. It can run on any platform where Java support is available on Linux, Windows, Raspberry PI (Oracle Java recommend) and Orange PI.
- Very lightweight server
- Supports Linux, Windows and Raspberry Pi
- Supports multiple gateways with multiple protocols: Serial, Ethernet and MQTT
- Time based operations
- Notifications, alarms and graphical reports
- Interactive dashboards
Freedomotic is an open source, flexible, secure Internet of Things (IoT) application framework, useful to build and manage modern smart spaces. It is targeted to private individuals (home automation) as well as business user.
- Freedomotic is written in Java so it can run on Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris. Java JRE 6 is required (JRE 7+ from v5.6 Commander)
- Can be deployed on a network of cheap peer-to-peer hardware node. It is scalable and can manage from small apartments to huge buildings providing automatic load balancing across clusters on the network
- Can run many frontends at the same time, also from remote. Every frontend can be developed with specific purpose in mind and every company can build rapidly its own branded interface for Android, iphone, Web
- Every action in the real environment and every interaction with the system (eg: a click on the GUI) is mapped to an event. Events can be intercepted at runtime making the behavior of the system fully configurable and adaptable to any automation purpose
- Freedomotic it’a available in more than 20 languages
MajorDoMo (Major Domestic Module) is an open-source home automation platform aimed to be used in multi-protocol and multi-services environment.
It is based on a web-technologies stack and ready to be delivered to any modern device. Flexible in configuration with OOP paradigm used to set up automation rules and scripts.
- Easy to install
- Cross-platform (Linux/Windows)
- Free for personal and/or commercial usage
- Hardware support (MQTT, ZWave, 1-wire, ModBus, SNMP, Ethernet)
- Multi-lingual interface
- Flexible API
- Web-based interfaces for any device
- GPS-tracking and geofence support
- Voice notifications and speech recognition with Android client application
- Push notifications using Pushbullet
- 3rd party services/web-sites integration
- Multimedia control
- Advanced security model
- Learn and Share with Connect web-site
The MisterHouse is an open source home automation program. It’s fun, it’s free, and it’s entirely geeky. Written in Perl, it fires events based on time, web, socket, voice, and serial data. It currently runs on Windows 95/98/NT/2k/XP and on most Unix based platforms, including Linux and Mac OSX.
- It has a web interface to allow control and feedback from any browser, either on a local intranet or on the internet.
- Reads/writes any data from any serial attached device.
- Speaks the speed, course, and position of vehicles, by interfacing to a ham radio modem (TNC).
- Sends/receives X10 data from the X10 CM11 (ActiveHome) interface.
- Sends wireless X10 data using the X10 CM17 (Firecracker) interface.
- Supports all Insteon products, including i1 and i2cs devices
- Build your own “user code” to do whatever you like
Other Platforms similar to Openhab Alternative