Smart houses are no longer a science fiction concept. In today’s world, it’s feasible to automate a wide range of household activities. The usage of smart plugs is the simplest method to become acquainted with smart technology. You may plug in a range of household appliances and operate them with your voice-enabled Alexa device once they’ve been put in an outlet.
If you’re interested in upgrading to smart plugs for Alexa, read our buying guide, which includes reviews of a few of our favorites at the end. Our top choice is TP-Link’s Kasa Smart WiFi Plug, which has handy features and doesn’t require a hub.
When it comes to picking a smart plug for Alexa, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Plug size and shape: Smart plugs with Alexa capabilities come in a variety of sizes, from those that completely cover an outlet to those that give room for you to plug in another device or add a second smart plug.
- Power capacity: The sorts of devices that a smart plug can support are limited by its power capacity. A smart plug that controls your air conditioner, for example, requires more electricity than a smart plug that controls a single living room bulb.
- Indoor vs. outdoor: The majority of smart plugs are intended for use indoors, however a select number may be used outside. Control Christmas, patio, and garden lights with outdoor plugs according on the time of day or weather. Temperature and humidity sensors are incorporated into outdoor smart plugs with condition automation, allowing users to make conditional settings (e.g., switch on the AC if the outside temperature rises over 80°F).
- Setup: Ease of setup varies according to the brand of smart plug and its associated smartphone app. Lower-quality plugs often work with clunky, unintuitive software. Research the plug’s setup process before purchasing.
Smart plug for Alexa features
- Multi-outlet: Smart plugs come in single and double outlet configurations. When choosing a dual-outlet model, you must decide whether you want dual- or single-power control. The supplied outlets are controlled by the same power button with a single-power smart plug. Each outlet has its own control on a dual-power control plug.
- Power usage analysis: Some smart plugs keep track of your power usage and show it in an app or send it to you through email. Look for a plug that has this capability if you want to keep track of your power usage and learn more about your appliances’ efficiency.
- Scheduling: Scheduling is a useful money-saving feature available with many smart plugs. Create a schedule to turn lights on as you return home from work and shut them off when no one is home.
- Away mode: This feature turns lights on and off at random intervals so that it appears as if someone is home when you’re out or on vacation. It’s a useful deterrent for would-be burglars.
- Price: An Alexa-enabled smart plug won’t set you back much more than $35. Plugs with greater functionality, such as scheduling and power-usage monitoring, are found at the higher end of the pricing spectrum. The most costly smart plugs are intended for outdoor usage and have condition automation capabilities.
- A hub isn’t required for many Alexa-enabled smart plugs.
- You can theoretically install several types of smart plugs in your house, but you’ll have to operate them all using a separate app, which is annoying.
Here Are the Best Alexa Smart Plug
Top of the Line
TP-LINK’s Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug
A clever technological choice with a lot of features from a renowned brand.
It has a handy scheduling tool. It works with a wide range of Wi-Fi routers. There’s no need for a hub. Allows users to give their plugs unique names and utilize them with Alexa. There’s also an Away mode.
Secure 2.4GHz required to function.
Amysen Wi-Fi Smart Plug
A popular Alexa-enabled model with an affordable price tag.
No subscription is required. No hub required. 2.4GHz WiFi enabled. Comes in three sizes: LED Bleu, LED Green and LED Yellow.
The app doesn’t always work reliably.
Other Smart plugs You can consider are Programmable Dimmer Switch, BN-LINK Wi-Fi Heavy Duty Smart Plug Outlet