Suppose you live in your own house or rent a rental property. Including a security system to protect yourself and your house from any threat is important. Various type of home security systems is available in the market. One such product is the SimpliSafe security system. Simplisafe can be connected through a large number of devices. It includes a base station, also considered the primary siren or brain of the system.
Whichever device is connected to the simply safe security system will generate an alarm signal when the monitoring service is activated. The base station’s main purpose is to connect with the devices connected with the Simplisafe alarm monitoring system. But sometimes, it has been seen that the base station of saving has not been connected to the WiFi. There could be a large number of reasons for it. So let’s see each one by one.
How to connect the WIFI with the base station?
Although this is not related to any issue with the base station and Wi-Fi connection, it’s important to understand how the Wi-Fi is connected to the base station before going into issues. If you are using a mobile phone for connecting, then go to the main menu of the setting. Select the wifi network of 2.4 GHz from there if the system is not connecting with Wi-Fi, and then use a different app for troubleshooting the WiFi connectivity problem.
SimpliSafe system Gen3 can connect with WIF, providing the perfect alternative for a whole-house monitoring centre. Below we have mentioned the steps for connecting the WIFI to Simplisafe.
Via the use of a Mobile App
- Open the menu.
- Select My system
- Select General Setting
- Click on the Wi-Fi network
- Your mobile device will scan all the available networks.
- Choose the WiFi network
- Enter the password of your WIFI.
- Connect it to the device
- Via using the Keypad
- On the keypad, enter the 4-digit MPIN.
- Navigate through the system setting
- Now look for the WiFi network and choose it accordingly. You will find available network devices. Scroll down and check for the network you want to connect to.
- After selecting the device, enter the password of the WIFI.
So you can easily connect the base station to the WiFi.
Why is SimpliSafe not connecting to the WiFi?
Simplisafe security system connects with the devices via the use of the Internet. There could be end number of reasons for having connectivity issues with SimpliSafe. But the three major factors are physical obstruction, electronic interference and distance.
- Physical obstruction happens if any object is placed between the router and the device connected to the system.
- Electronic interference occurs when an issue exists in a socket or device.
- Lastly, the distance between the router and the device is too long.
Still, if the device does not connect with the WIFI, then you must be having questions like:
- How far should the device be from the router or the base station?
- You should check if any big object is placed between the router and the device. It includes large objects like walls, metal doors or even large trees.
- Is there any big size electronic device near the Simplisafe that might be creating the interference?
Other than this, there are other problems related to a base station with Wi-Fi connectivity issues. Some of them we have listed below:
Ø Simplisafe works only with a 2.4 GHz network
The router must be broadcasting on a WIFI network of 5 Gigahertz. It’s important to note that the Simplisafe system works only on 2.4 GHz. It won’t work properly if the WIFI network is more than that. The reason for indulging the 2.4 gigahertz is that it can penetrate through the floor and walls more easily than 5GHz networks.
Ø Changed SSID
You must have changed the password or SSID. If the name of the SSID of the wireless network and the password of the WIFI has been changed, then it will have trouble connecting with the base station.
To resolve this issue, you need to re-enter the password on the keypad. Further, we have explained this process in much more detail later in this article.
If the SSID is hidden, you must get it back by checking the network settings. Once you enter the setting, press the network button so SSID can be discovered easily.
Ø Weak WIFI network strength
Weak WIFI strength is among the most common reasons why the base station is not connecting with the WIFI networking. One thing to note here is that the WiFi password and name should include only 31 characters. So, these are the reasons behind the connectivity issue of a base station with that of the WIFI router. Now let’s see the ways to resolve these issues.
How to fix the connectivity problem of a base station with WIFI?
By far, we have seen the reason behind the connectivity issues of a base station with that of a Wi-Fi router. Now it becomes important to understand how to resolve the issues so that the home security system can work properly. But before that, we need to know that it’s really important to include a home security system to save yourself and find your property from any attack from thieves. Below are the Ways to fix the connectivity issues:
1. Switch to a Wi-Fi Network of 2.4GHz
The main issue with the connectivity of Wi-fi with PlayStation is that the router runs only on a 2.4 GHz network. So by chance, if your WIFI router is running on a Wi-Fi network of 5 GHz. Then it’s important that you should not connect the device to the router. The 2.4 gigahertz WIFI band is chosen because it can easily connect for a long distance, whether it has to go through a wall or floor. Many people don’t even know how to switch or check the WiFi band on the router. So below, we have provided the steps to check the WiFi band.
- Open up the web browser on your computer or phone.
- Now at the router’s IP address in a web browser’s search section. You can check the user manual if you don’t know where the IP address is present on the router.
- Once you get the wire IP address, the web will take you to the routers page.
- Enter the password and username of your Wi-Fi network. Admin represents the username, whereas, for the password, you need to check the router manual.
- After signing on to the web page, you will find the option of network settings selected. This option is usually present on the top side of the home page or in the menu bar.
- Now, in the wireless network setting, check for the wireless channel. Select the option which displays the signal. From there, select the 2.4 gigahertz WiFi band range. Save and start using the device.
2. Check if SSID is Hidden or not
Most people hide their SSD so others cannot access the Wi-fi network. However, when connecting the base station with WIFI, you may need help finding the SSID. Below are the steps to make sure that the SSID is visible.
- First, check if the phone is properly connected to the router to which the save base station is connected.
- Right the IP address of the router in the web browser. If you are unaware of the IP address, you can check it online or in the manual; you can also find the router IP address.
- Once you get the IP address, input the username and password in a web browser to access the router’s information.
- Select the option of advanced setting, and there you will find the option of Wi-Fi security. Now, check the SSID and make it visible.
3. Move the station close to the router
If you place the base station far away from the Wi-Fi router, then there are chances that it won’t connect properly. Distance plays a major role in the signalling strength of WIFI, so when it is placed far away, the signal might be weak. The router should be placed 30 feet from the base station. You can add the WiFi extender if you wish to extend the range.
4. Reboot the Base Station and Router
If you are facing a connectivity problem, you need to reboot the base station and router. For this, disconnect all the cables and adapters from the base station and router and switch them off for 15 to 30 seconds. After that, reopen it. It will connect again.
5. Contact Customer Support
If none of those solutions mentioned above works, you need to call the customer centre. For this, you need to visit the website of simply safe and look for the customer section. Here you will get to options one is of live chat, and the other is of customer support number. If you choose the option of calling, then the customer executive will provide you with the help you seek. They will guide you on troubleshooting the issues related to the connectivity of the base station with the WIFI.
Apart from this, on the website, you can find the option of frequently asked questions that will provide you with several solutions. Many articles are also on the website, which will guide you properly. Furthermore, you can also try to join the community. It will allow you to post any query you have used in the forum.
The base station’s main purpose is to connect with the devices connected with the SimpliSafe alarm monitoring system. But issues are often raised against the connectivity of the base station and WIFI. When you connect the system with Wi-Fi, it’s always important to understand that it only works with a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network. You can call the customer service centre if the problem is not resolved.
You might want to see this: